Monday, April 22, 2013

Cluster Connections

During this semester, I've noticed that the topics brought up in each of my classes relate amongst each other. This race and culture cluster has broadened my vision of our society today and society's of the past. A common question brought up in each class has been "What is race?". Based on our in-class discussion mixed with my prior knowledge, I believe this question depends on the person answering. Having growing up in various cultures, we all share differing views of what race means to us. To me, race is an idea used to define and to draw inferences about groups of people because of their skin color. I also believe that this concept has separated the world over time rather than bringing everyone together. Racial formation has led to colonization throughout the world. With races set in place, certain ones believed in their own people as the superior race in comparison to others. For example, we've been analyzing the situation between the English and Indians in history. In English class, the book our class is reading is called "The Untouchable" which demonstrates the life of an Indian within the caste system while under English rule. The impact of this system and another instance of the English and Indian relationship was showcased in "Bend it like Beckham" which we watched for Anthropology class. In both, the main character, being Indian, idolizes British culture although they were socialized into English culture and way of life. The information received from the readings and the film, gave me a better understanding of the interaction and history between these two races. These classes have expanded my vision on race and connections between certain races over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment